Wednesday 9 March 2016

Furry friends & mental health.

It's a well-known fact that us British are a nation of pet - lovers. In fact, Petplan's 2011 Pet Census reports that there are 24 million pets in the UK - that's double the number of pensioners! But did you know that there is also evidence now that suggests pet ownership is scientifically proven to help our physical AND psychological health?

The Mental Health Foundation reports that pets, notably dogs, are great for depression and being a good motivator thanks to their need for regular exercise. There's also the fact they are a wonderfully non-judgemental companion, great to dampen feelings of loneliness. There is even evidence that pets, such as horses and dogs, can benefit children with autism through lessening sensory sensitivity. 

When I was in hospital, we even had a dog visit the ward who was a part of the Pets As Therapy scheme. It calmed me so much being able to stroke the silky Labrador that visited, and it reminded me of the fact that I had two little furry babies at home waiting for me to get well. Pets As Therapy is an organisation that works across the UK, and started in 1983. You can find out more about their wonderful work by clicking here.

For me, my two dogs, Monty and Pippa, have been my little rocks and it was them who inspired me to write this post. 

Left - Monty, Right - Pippa
Monty is 16 months old and is a spoilt little prince. He likes to pinch everything he shouldn't and loves nothing more than licking your face with his long tongue. My partner often ends up holding him on the sofa each evening like a baby and he'll end up making cute noises as he dreams of chasing Pippa. Pippa is 14 months old and a little darling. She listens to your commands and absolutely loves to play fetch and will growl at you until you throw her ball. She curls up in the tiniest of spaces to sleep next to you and loves a good belly rub.

When I am severely depressed and even having a shower is too difficult, and I am so scared of the world outside, these dogs still motivate me to go out. I have gone out in the pouring rain when it's the last thing I wanted to do, just because I knew that the dogs would be so much happier if I did. My dogs still need caring for, even when I'm depressed or anxious, and I love that I have little things that depend on me. It turns my focus away from myself and how I'm feeling and on to them instead. 

My dogs also know when I'm happy a panic attack. When I'm struggling to breathe or find myself becoming detached from reality, Monty is there with a ton of licks that ground me and bring me back down to earth. Pippa will stare and do this weird growl/whine at me as I pace the lounge, urging for me to stroke her. Even petting the dogs helps me to feel more grounded and more mindful.

There's also the exercise they give me too. Since having the dogs, both myself and my partner regularly take them on long walks through forests or on the beach. The dogs love exploring, and it has helped us as a couple get out of the house and explore more too. Before, I'd have seen a cloudy day and not wanted to leave the house, but now, I look forward to Sundays, wrapping up warm, getting my walking boots on, and driving somewhere to take the dogs on a long walk.


When I was in hospital, I missed my dogs desperately. I missed evening cuddles on the sofa, and waking up to their tails wagging in the morning when I came down the stairs. When I finally got leave to come home the first time, I saw how excited they were and could just tell how much they missed me. I have them to thank for giving me even more motivation to get out of hospital and their cuddles got me through the tough days when I was first discharged. 


Now I have them in my life, I can't picture not having them as a part of it. My dogs help me when I'm anxious, when I'm depressed, they even help me when I'm feeling relatively okay by just making me explore new areas around where I live. It is not also in how they help me literally, but also the fact that these two will never judge me. I will never come home to them shunning me, and they'll never discriminate against me for having mental health problems. All they want is unconditional love, and they will love me unconditionally too (except from when they have to have their worming treatment perhaps...). 

And that's what's wonderful about pets. Big or small, furry or smooth, loud or quiet. All they want is warmth, food, water and love. And if you can provide that for them, they will love you right back. You never have to worry about what your pet thinks of you, what they're saying behind your back, or them seeing you on a bad day. 

As part of my research for this blog post, I also asked my readers about their experiences of pets on their mental health. Below are a few stories as well as pictures of their furry friends (because we all love to coo over a photo!). 







Thanks to every one who shared their story with me, and sorry I couldn't feature you all, but I loved seeing pictures of our furry friends and reading how wonderful they are!

Thanks for reading and please do share your story in the comments about how a pet has helped your mental health. 

Much love,
AG -x-

Further Reading





10 comments:

  1. Aww it's clear how important your dogs are to you and I agree that pet ownership has so many benefits including that of mental health. I once had a dog and it was taking him for walks (runs) that got me started road running which is now one of my great escapes! I have two cats now who are so cute but they only want loving on their terms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dogs, how cute. Some lovely stories here, it's good to know how pets can help, they are such important members of our families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dogs are so cute and clearly good for you ;-)

    It's amazing what having a little four legged friend relying on you will make you do - I've been out in all weathers with my dog when I'm usually a sit inside and snuggle kind of person x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave and informative post,it has made me realise once again why so many people choose to have pets. I have always dreamt of having a Labrador as I know they are very loving and gentle, hope it will happen one day!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I don't have pets and dogs especially scare me. I am glad that your dogs have helped you and that you have a very special bond with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard that animals share unconditional love and they are great for companionship.Personally I ma not a pet lover but I admire people who treat their pets like family members.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our cats are great to snuggle up to and have a cuddle. Very calming if you are stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can definitely relate to this, I got a rescue dog about a year ago and he has changed my life. He's a great companion, and gives me purpose to get up every morning. He has given me responsibility and routine to my life which has helped so much with my anxiety. Whilst I rescued him, in a way he also rescued me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Professionally written blogs are rare to discover, however I apprehend all of the factors referred to right right here. I also need to include a few different writing competencies which every person must privy to. Psychologist in Spring Hill

    ReplyDelete
  10. When choosing your keywords, we suggest being location specific. This is because keywords as broad as "Optometrist" are going to have lots of competition, making it very difficult to be listed on the first page of Google search results for that term. SEO for Doctors

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts